Chef Ali El Bourji Shares A Special Recipe for Ramadan
Ayamna’s Executive Chef Ali El Bourji is famous throughout the Arabic world for his amazing culinary creations. And to celebrate this Ramadan, he would like to share one of his favourite Ramadan recipes with you.
Stuffed Vine Leaves with Baby Marrow and Lamb Chops are easy to make, and will surely satisfy your appetite. They are also available every night at Asateer, Atlantis’ amazing Ramadan Tent, and are great for either Iftar or Suhoor.
Learn how to make this old favourite yourself, and discover the tricks Chef Ali uses to make this dish truly special.
Stuffed Vine Leaves with Baby Marrow and Lamb Chops (Serves Eight)
- 500 grams (40 pieces) Vine Leaves – washed and stem removed
- 1 Kg (20 pieces) Small Baby Marrow (Zucchini)
- 1 Kg (8 pieces) Lamb Chops – cleaned from fat
- 150 Ml Lemon Juice
- 300 grams Egyptian Rice
- 600 grams Minced Lamb
- 180 grams Chopped Tomato
- 80 Ml Water
- 15 grams Cinnamon
- 25 grams Salt
- 10 grams Sweet Pepper
- 12 pieces Peeled Garlic
- 80 grams Melted Butter
- 60 grams Finely Chopped Fresh Mint
- 25 grams Dry Mint
- Place the vine leaves in a pot filled with boiling water for 1 minute. Remove from hot water and place under cold water. Wash well Strain and set aside.
- Trim the ends of the Baby Marrow. With a corer, pierce the top and remove the insides, making sure to keep a relatively thick outer layer that can hold the stuffing, wash well and keep is aside
- Put the rise I water for 1 hour washed and drained
- In a bowl, combine and mix rice, minced lamb, Mint, Ghee, Tomato, salt, spices, a little water and set in the fridge for a few minutes.
- Fill only . or 1cm of each Baby Marrow leaving space for the rice to expand when cooked.
- For stuffing vine leaves, take one vine leaf and spread it on a flat surface and place 1 teaspoon of the stuffing in the middle forming a straight line. Fold the sides inwards first and roll to warp. Make sure the stuffing is completely covered and the vine leaf is tightly wrapped. Repeat the same procedure with the other vine leaves.
- Heat the oil in large pot sprinkle salt and pepper on the lamb chops and fry them in a skillet until brown colour.
- Place the cooked chops and arrange at the bottom of a deep pot then add the peeled garlic over the lamb chops.
- Lines with 1 layer of unstuffed leaves over the lamb chops then place the rolled stuffed leaves above them alternating the direction of each layer.
- Place stuffed baby zucchini over the stuffed vine leaves side by side.
- Add the water and bring to boil, add salt cover the pot contents. Place a plate, face inwards, on top of the contents to weigh them down while cooking and then cover pot and allow it to simmer on low heat for 2 hours
- Add lemon juice and dry mint boil for 5 minutes and put on top of the stuffing
- Place the vine leaves in the middle of a round plate, the Marrow around them and put the lamb chops over the vine leaves.
- Serve with yoghurt